Wednesday, March 21, 2007

What do British babies eat?


While I am quite disturbed at the absence of grape jam here (see last posting), my latest concern centers on the great Cheerios mystery. As any self-respecting parent in the U.S. knows, Cheerios is (are?) great baby food--portable, dry, and fun to throw are among the cereal's strengths. The sellers of Cheerios even market it as baby finger food!http://www.babycenter.com/fingerfoods/?_requestid=363952


It just so happens I like Cheerios too, at least when I'm not in the mood for the sweetened rush of Frosted Flakes and other heavily sugared cereals. So imagine my surprise to find no Cheerios over here. Well, that's not quite true. Oddly, they have Honey Nut Cheerios and Mult-Grain Cheerios (a sweetened bastardization of the original), but not the original O's. It makes one (ok me) ponder whether England for some reason rejected the taste of simple Cheerios, or did the producer simply never try to introduce them here. My wife thinks I'm strange to obsess about this but I wonder what the toddlers in the UK are eating if not Cheerios--do they start on fish and chips and bangers and mash that early!

--jt