Wednesday, May 16, 2007

On Weather

(I started this post days ago. This morning, Blue Sky! Sunshine! I went for an hour-long bike ride and it was glorious. I thought, rats, that weather post is going to be a bit of a lie now. By 6 p.m. the sky was black and it was pouring rain. Then it went away and now the night is lovely.)

We spent a fair bit of March and April saying, "The weather here is fantastic, neener neener neener." Well, for the last two weeks, we've gotten the true British weather -- definitely jacket weather, and don't you dare leave the house without your umbrella. And also your sunglasses.

Most of the time, the rain is very light; the university measures rainfall in millimeters. But then suddenly it will pour. Then it stops and is sunny for a spell. ("Spell" is a regular weather term here. Spells tend to be clear or sunny. Or a number of other things.)

I don't mind it, really: It suits me. And it makes for some pretty dramatic skies:

(I hope that rainbow shows up. Suppose I should have photoshopped it.)

If you ever want to know what the weather in Cambridge is, check here. And then check back again 10 minutes later. And again ...

No comments: