Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Farewell Aunt Gloria


This is when it's tough to be so far away from family and friends. My godmother passed away yesterday after a long, stubborn fight against a variety of medical issues and a lot of pain. I'm incredibly sad but also grateful that she's at peace now. Gloria was a constant presence in my life. She and Uncle Si lived across the street from our house and I probably saw them at least every other day of childhood, most commonly when Gloria came over to chat, smoke cigarettes, and play cards with my mom in our small kitchen. I can't tell you how many hands of 3-person pinochle I played with the two of them. She and Si also vacationed with us in Canada during the summers. My heart goes out to Uncle Si and the rest of her family. She was a special gal. She was my second mom.--JT