Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Watch Out, It's a Dragon (Boat)

On the 4th day of blogging, my true love gave to me...a dragon boat race.

September often turns out to be one of the best months in Cambridge weather-wise and this year was no exception. I convinced KT to take a stroll down the river for a short look at the annual dragon boat races I had heard about. A bright sun and a warm day meant she was soon chiding me not bringing newspapers and chairs as we could have happily stayed there all day. The races involved mini-dragon boats, not the full-sized one, and the crews were mainly first-timers who signed up with their company or academic department for the fundraising event. A drummer on each boat beat out the rowing rhthym. It was clearly a lot of fun, with one boat crew decked out in kimonos and another in pirate costumes. As the day wore on, it even got competitive. I've vowed to sign Science magazine up for a spot next year. --J.T.






Posted by Picasa