Thursday, February 11, 2010

Three years ago today ...

... we packed up the last of our stuff.

 We passed the keys over to niece J, who would make the Cleveland Park condo her home for 2+ years. And we ... well, quite frankly I can't remember what else we did. Perhaps took a walk around the neighborhood. Perhaps we ate Vace pizza. Perhaps I took one final walk through the zoo.

Late in the afternoon, the car service arrived to take us and our 7 suitcases to Dulles. We were very curious about our flight -- our Maxjet flight had been canceled and so we were flying (at no additional cost to us) first class on Virgin Atlantic.

Not too shabby. I regret to inform you, however, that it was still an airplane. And no amount of cocktails, airline pajamas, or free movies changed that.

I honestly can't remember whether my mind was still racing with questions -- how long would we stay? Would we like it? How would I like my new job? How would JT like his? How quickly would we find somewhere to live? After all, I had the preceding 3 months to ask myself these questions.

By the time we got to the airport, all I could do was look down at our one-way tickets and think, "Off we go!"