Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Poor Pete--"I'm Gutted"


I'm intimidated by the idea of the 50 mile London to Cambridge trip so this 57 year-old man puts me to shame and his luck is so bad it's hard not to laugh reading this Cambridge Evening News story.

Peter Woor, 57, was cycling the 263 miles to Torquay to watch his beloved Cambridge United when he was in collision with a truck near Hatfield.
He was heading west ahead of his team's match against Torquay United on Saturday.

He suffered bruising to his ribs and cuts - and his bike was a write-off. To add to his woes, his other bike was stolen from outside the Kingston Arms in Kingston Street the next day.

Peter has not had much luck recently in following the Us. As the News reported, he made a gruelling 170-mile trek to watch his heroes in September - but was locked out of Altrincham FC's ground. The lab worker in the haematology department of Addenbrooke's Hospital finally got in and caught the last 20 minutes, but he missed Cambridge United's three goals.

He said: "I haven't had the best of luck. I was cycling between Hatfield and Luton when the lorry hit me....Friday was not my day as I found out that my other bike was stolen as was my friend's machine. They were parked outside the pub but the thieves had cut the cables. It's a double whammy. I won't be going to any games for a bit. My body is in bad shape and my bikes have gone. I'm gutted."

The pedalling fan has cycled 8,000 miles to 56 different grounds to support his team. He combines his two loves - football and cycling and travels 10,000 miles a year on his bikes, competing every year in a cycling event in Italy.


-jt